Thursday, May 8, 2014

What I Might Do

Last Monday, New York elites and worldwide celebrities climbed up the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for their annual Costume Institute Gala honoring the irreplaceable couturier Charles James. For those who do not know who he is, Charles James is credited to be America's First Couturier for his highly structured and elaborate ball gowns that showed a woman's figure in the most elegant way possible. With that said, for a gala that is honoring a man know for ball gowns, you would expect attendees to honor that dress code. However, what I saw in the red carpet was a flurry of disappointing and unflattering dresses.

Seriously, this was their chance to actually dress up in a ball gown and they let it slip. What happened to wearing ball gowns???  It was hard to pick a favorite when there were just so many people wearing such hideous dresses. Here are just a few of the worst dressed attendees: 

 Alexa Chung - Nina Ricci
I know Alexa Chung has always been a quirky dresser but no. Just no. 

Kate Upton - Dolce & Gabbana
All boobs. No brain. Next.  

Kristen Stewart - Chanel
I maybe bias here because I absolutely hate her with my whole being but seriously. Your face plus the hair and the dress...I just can't deal with you. You're wearing Chanel for crying out loud.  

 Lupita Nyong'o - Prada 
Lupita, girl, what are you wearing? You were doing so well in the red carpet. You looked liked a princess at the Oscars in your gorgeous cerulean Prada gown and now you look like a hot mess. Why? You were my favorite. 

Shailene Woodley - Rodarte
Shailene Woodley is a pretty girl with an amazing talent. I honestly cannot wait for The Fault in Out Stars but this look has got to go. Her make-up is too harsh and I can't wait for her hair to get long again. 

And now my favorites: 

Arizona Muse - Ralph & Russo
YES. FINALLY. A BALL GOWN. Epitome of Charles James. Enough Said.  

Bee Shaffer - Alexamder McQueen
Bee Shaffer looks more and more like her Mum every year and this pale blue half-ball gown by Alexander McQueen with the mermaid tulle cut is perfection. 

Suki Waterhouse - Burberry
I am obsessed with nude gowns so I maybe bias again here but just look at this. It is absolutely exquisite. It reminds me of my all time favorite Oscars gown worn by Penelope Cruz when she won the award in 2008.

Reese Witherspoon - Stella McCartney
It's not a ball gown but she carries this dress really reeeally well. It fits her like a glove and everything about this look just works. 

Despite the horrendous red carpet, I really hope this exhibit does Charles James some justice. He's one designer that has done so much for fashion but is never really credited enough. I'm looking forward to visiting it this weekend and to be blown away.


P.S. All photos are from British Vogue so please do not sue me.
P.P.S. Another post, another song. What I Would Do - Ben Pearce

No comments:

Post a Comment