Friday, April 26, 2013

LDN: Roomies


Deanne writes...



There it is in all its pristine, shining glory. Not exactly what I thought when I first entered the base room of our school. I honestly thought they weren't through with it yet. But they told us they were.

Coming from an interior decoration magazine, I had this intense itch to decorate every inch of the place.  A painting here, color there (please!). Just anything to inspire me more!

And then Kate, our wonderfully "jazz hands" teacher and insanely avid fan of technology, conveyed the reason for the purity. It went something like this:

"The school is just a canvas. You are the painting."

I silently applauded her for the totally appropriate metaphor (after all, we are fashion students)! Everything we step into is just a frame for our creations. 

And that's what everyone in the fashion industry does. Anna Dello Russo fills the pages of Vogue Japan with her magic. Annie Leibovitz captures the raw essence of her subjects with her camera. Christopher Kane translates the intangible energy of London's youth into fabric. I can go on and on...

As the first cohort of the school, we are expected to do the same. Never have I been so moved to rise to a challenge. At this point in time, the fashion industry seems to be saturated with aspirants but I believe that there's a place for each one of us. We just have to find it. And as the days go by (oh so quickly!), I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the point I've been tending to all along. 

It's gonna be a good one.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment