Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Live Food Adventure

I have never said no to food. Even though I’m dead tired at the end of the day, if my friends ask me if I want to eat with them, I would say yes. Even if I just ate already and my friends invite me to check out this new restaurant, I would go with them. I love food and eating in general and whoever said sex is better than food is wrong. Nothing will ever outrank food on my list. Call me a glutton or whatever. Food is food and that’s the truth. So last week, when my friend invited me to go with them to try this Korean restaurant for our school’s newspaper, obviously I said yes! The catch was that they we’re there to feature the Korean delicacy of....a live octopus. Yes. Live. That made me worry a bit but it still gave me an even more incentive to go.

The name of the restaurant that we went to is Sik Gaek and it’s located in Woodside, Queens just 30 minutes away from school. Walking towards the restaurant, we could already smell the food that awaits us. I haven’t really eaten a full meal that day so I was really excited to eat already. As soon as we went inside, I immediately saw the aquarium full of the live octopus and other sea creatures that will soon be in our belly.

The restaurant is so cozy making it the perfect place to just hang out and chill with your friends. Service is fast and the waiters and waitresses are always willing to answer any questions that you may have. They served us eggs right away and we asked them why they do that. They said it's because the protein in the egg helps with the spiciness of what we were about to eat. Now, i'm not really a fan of spicy things that it was good to know that I will be well protected. Lol

After serving us eggs, Kevin (our waiter), fished out the octopus that came with our order. Apparently, before serving, they take out the intestines first then cut the octopus into little pieces. You would think they would be dead but this wouldn't be anything special if there was no catch. Even though they cut up the octopus into small pieces, its tentacles were still moving and the suction cups were also still working. It was hard for me to eat them because it was hard to get them out of my bowl. When I got it out of my bowl though, I drenched it in sauce and I have to say, it wasn't bad. It was chewy and since i drenched it in sauce, it tasted like the sauce. It was better than I expected but I don't think it will become one of my favorites anytime soon though.

L-R: Kevin, Darryl, Laura, Me, Mike, Ariella

Next up was the short rib hot pot and boy was it a feast. Just like what my friend said, it was as if they dumped the whole ocean in the pot. It had shrimps, clams, razor clams, oysters, conch, squid, mussels and so much more! For the size of their serving, the price was definitely worth it. Our group consisted of 5 people and we still weren't about to finish the pot. The hot pot could definitely have served a party of 10 and there could even still be some leftover! It was insane. By the end of the meal, we were all definitely stuffed. We didn't think we can eat anymore but when our friend suggested we get bubble tea in Flushings, of course we all said yes again.


The bubble tea was good. The food was good. The company was good. At the end of the night, I was happy and stuffed. Would I go back again? Most Definitely and I highly recommend everyone to do the same.

As for the outfit, the weather was finally turning around after a full week of rain so I was very excited to dress up. I refuse to give up on my shorts just yet and so to compensate for the lack of material covering my legs, I wore a white oxford shirt underneath my chunky knit mustard sweater. I was feeling very preppy today so I decided to go with the whole preppy chic look. I accessorized my outfit with some black flats, crystal and black beaded necklace and a brown bag then I was good to go. Very comfy without looking sloppy. My favorite combination.


K

No comments:

Post a Comment