Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fashion's Night Out

In 2008, the world stood still when 3 major financial institutions in the United States – Lehman Brothers, Frannie Mae and even AIG- collapsed and declared bankruptcy. Wall Street was left [and is still] in shambles; and, New York’s economy especially the fashion industry wasn’t looking too good. A year after, CFDA and Vogue decided to do something to help and support the industry by figuring a way to encourage consumers to shop thus giving birth to Fashion’s Night Out.

Fashion’s Night Out started as an initiative to help support the fashion industry in New York that has soon expanded all over the world. In 2010, a year after it first launched, FNO was celebrated in more 10 countries such as Australia, Italy, Spain and Portugal with more and more participating stores and designers every year! With free booze, food and tons of celebrity sightings, I think it is safe to say that FNO instantly became a phenomenon.

Since I got here in New York, I decided to join the phenomena and I now consider it one of my favorite holidays. This year was no exception. This time around my friend and I decided to hit up 5th Avenue first then SoHo and I'm glad we did.
In 5th avenue, I saw the Fashion First Aid truck parked in front of Tiffany's that offered free makeovers and fashion touch ups. There was no line yet so I was lucky enough to be there before all the chaos happened. I got a free touch up and I even had the chance to see Cynthia Rowley first hand!
Also outside Tiffany's were these two gorgeous men giving around cake pops with the word "LOVE" on them which was absolutely perfect. What's not to love?
Next stop in 5th Avenue was Bergdoft's where I saw Michael Kors from their window. They were giving him an award for his longevity in the industry which I think is well deserved. Congrats!
In SoHo, we stopped by the Guess by Marciano store and we saw this model there. We don't really know who exactly she is but we took a picture of her nonetheless. Lol here name is Heidi something.
From a model I don't know to a model I know perfectly well, I saw Chanel Iman in Topshop. She looked like a normal girl when we saw her. She even looked lost! I would not have known it was her if I hadn't looked closely. She's the sweetest most adorable model ever and I was so happy to have met her.
To top of the night, my friend and I were able to get a free ride on the Barbie double decker bus that was going around the city. Not to mention, they were also giving out free Barbies and Vogue's September issue! I have never ridden a double decker before so it was really an experience I'm gonna remember.


K


Before I forget, also spotted in Topshop that night was none other than Ms. Coco Rocha dancing up a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment